Effective July 1, 2020, the Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities (CALA) launched the 4th edition of the Internship in Architecture Program (referred to as New IAP) manual replacing the previous IAP manual, 3rd edition, dated January 2012 (referred to as Old IAP).
- July 1, 2020 New IAP Effective Date
- January 1, 2021 Transition Period Starts
- June 30, 2022 Transition Period Ends
- July 1, 2022 New IAP Mandatory for All
Students who have not submitted any experience hours before January 1, 2021, must follow the New IAP program requirements, including using the new CERB forms, effective immediately.
Students who have submitted experience hours before January 1, 2021 can switch to the New IAP program requirements, including using the new CERB forms, at any time during the Transition Period.
- Any final CERB Submissions under the Old IAP Program requirements, including using the old CERB forms, must be submitted on or before June 30, 2022.
- All CERB Submissions on or following July 1, 2022 must follow the New IAP Program Requirements, including using the new CERB forms.
- Students are not allowed to switch back to the Old IAP program requirements, including using the old CERB forms, after the switch to the New IAP.
Students who do not finish all the requirements of the Syllabus Program required for the issuance of the Diploma by June 30, 2022, must follow New IAP program requirements, including using the new CERB forms, and additional architectural experience areas regardless of where they are in the program.
A reminder that these parameters for study, work experience and graduation from the Syllabus program have not been established by the RAIC. The requirements have been determined by the provincial and territorial associations and the RAIC has updated policies in order to operate the Syllabus program within the provincial and territorial parameters.
If you are unsure of you provincial or territorial regulators' transition to the 4th edition of the Internship in Architecture Program and your responsibilities as a Syllabus student, please contact the association directly. You can find more information about CALA here